I was inspired to film a YouTube video on the 22 lessons I have learn through my 22 years of life for my birthday. So here’s what’s in the YouTube video.
1. You don’t need to win. If people are acting a fool, that’s not an excuse to join the circus.
2. Set boundaries and adhere to them. Boundaries are an alarm system. You can only recognize lines that have been crossed when you have those lines in place.
3. Go for it. You may not conquer it all, but you will not limit yourself.
4. Dare to imagine. Be captive to your own imagination. Aspire to reach great heights.
5. Seek Knowledge. Education is an individual pursuit. Research all that you have an interest in.
6. Commit the same amount of energy, love and care that you have reserved for others to yourself.
7. Feel pain, anger, jealousy and sorrow. Emotions are not an act of evil, it’s okay to be human.
8. Speak positively about yourself. Proclaim your own beauty, intelligence and excellence. Wait for no one’s permission.
10. Commit to healing. It’s a marathon not a sprint. Recognise what hurt you and seek medicine. See a therapist, talk, run.
9. Let go, don’t allow history to bind you to those who don’t serve you anymore.
11. Care for others. Choose good, push for communal good. Imagine with them and make sure you can be counted amongst those who have ensured their communities success.
12. Start Over. Don’t be afraid to start again.
13. Resist the limitations placed upon your life. Refuse whatever they say you can’t do as a person of your identity.
14. Commit to creating friendships. You are a social being. It’s only natural to want to satiate this basic need. You want community and you want to belong, at least be thorough in your search and commit.
15. Expand your worldview. Seek to understand and believe the experiences of everyone.
16.Listen to yourself. Be friends with quietness and allow self dialogue to occur. You need to discover yourself over and over again.
17. Serve your body. Be kind to it, offer it pleasure, keep it away from harm. Be gentle with it.
18. Rest. Do not be bound to the capitalist culture of production. You don’t earn rest, you rest because your body requires it.
19.Be reckless. Do something that scares you often.
20. Don’t compare yourself. Your situation doesn’t need to be unique. We don’t know why life plays out the way it does sometimes, just be content.
21. Allow yourself to change your mind. Changing your mind does not invalidate yesterday’s truth. Don’t be trapped into serving the egos of others and yourself. If you feel differently act differently.
22. Applaud yourself. You are very deserving of celebration. Continue to rejoice your existence daily, surviving is enough reason for applause.